Getting Started with Python: An Introduction to Programming (Python, Part 1)
Getting Started with Python: An Introduction to Programming (Python, Part 1) Online
Please note: Registration is required for this event.
Are you ready to take the first steps of learning how to program? Get started with Python, one of the most popular programming languages.
This workshop welcomes first-time coders and Python beginners. There are no prerequisites, and you will not be required to download or install anything in advance to register or attend. The only requirement is to create a free account with Replit before class. We’ll be using Replit’s free, browser-based integrated development environment (known as an IDE) to write Python code (without having to download or install software).
In this 2-hour online workshop, we’ll start with the basics of what coding is and why you might want to learn programming. Then, we’ll jump right into it: you’ll write your first “Hello, World!” program, practice working with text and numbers, learn how to handle mistakes in programming, and put it all together in a final mini project. This session will be interactive and hands-on, and at the end, you’ll have written multiple lines of code. You’ll also walk away with various resources and suggestions for next steps in programming.
What you’ll learn in this session:
- How to write your first program (“Hello, world!”, printing)
- How to deal with mistakes (error handling)
- How to work with text and numbers in Python (strings, integers, floats, variables, assignment, concatenation)
- How to store lots of numbers and/or text in Python (lists, dictionaries)
- How to integrate conditions and repetition into code (if-else statements, loops)
- How to put the above elements together in a final mini project
- Create a free account on replit.com
- Thursday, November 10, 2022
- 9:00am - 11:00am
- Time Zone:
- Eastern Time - US & Canada (change)
- Medical School
- This is an online event. Event URL will be sent via registration email.