Bib Your TeX: Citing in TeX and LaTeX
Bib Your TeX: Citing in TeX and LaTeX Online
BibTeX, like many citation tools, is a way to save time and avoid that last-minute hunt for citation information that takes the time of many academic researchers. It is designed to be used with the LaTeX typesetting system (and variants like XeTeX and LuaLaTeX). The best way to use it, though, is to bundle it into what you do upstream while locating articles and books and sifting through the information in your research area.
This workshop will primarily use Overleaf, an online LaTeX writing tool similar to Google Docs, which simplifies some aspects of generating documents. The instructor will point out differences that desktop TeX software users will need to keep in mind.
Recommended audience: People who have basic knowledge of LaTeX
Pre-session work: Register for an Overleaf.com account with your yale.edu email. Optional: Bring some citations to import.
- Participants will call citation packages, style files, and bib files in their LaTeX documents.
- Participants will create and edit entries in a bib file.
- Participants will know where to find the export tools for BibTeX in major literature searching tools like Google Scholar and the Web of Science, in addition to databases hosted on several common library platforms.
- Participants will have a plan for organizing their references in a tool like Mendeley, Zotero, or BibDesk.
This workshop will take 45 minutes, with time for questions at the end.
NEW: Any student who participates in at least 3 library workshops during the fall 2021 semester will be eligible for a prize! How it works: Register for a library workshop or tour. After you have attended at least 3, a librarian will contact you with information about how to pick up your prize. Learn more about this incentive program at: guides.library.yale.edu/WorkshopIncentiveProgram.
- Thursday, November 4, 2021
- 12:30pm - 1:30pm
- Time Zone:
- Eastern Time - US & Canada (change)
- This is an online event. Event URL will be sent via registration email.