Cleaning and Manipulating Data with Python: An Introduction to pandas (Python, Part 3)
Cleaning and Manipulating Data with Python: An Introduction to pandas (Python, Part 3) Online
Please note: Registration is required for this event.
Participants will learn the basics of data cleaning and manipulation with pandas, one of Python's best-known data libraries.
Specifically, in this session, you'll learn how to:
- Determine what you want to achieve with data cleaning
- Work with pandas data structures
- Perform routine data cleaning tasks with pandas (e.g., dealing with missing data, converting data types, cleaning up text issues, etc.)
- Determine whether and what data manipulation (e.g., grouping, subsetting, reshaping) might be needed for next steps
A computer or device with the following installed:
- Python 3
- pandas Python library
- A Python environment, such as Jupyter Notebook, PyCharm, etc. -- the instructor will use Jupyter Notebook
- Or: do all of the above at once by installing Anaconda (which comes with Python 3, pandas, and Jupyter Notebook installed -- if you took the Medical Library's Python 2 class, you have likely already done this; if not, watch this video for guidance)
- Note: the Medical Library has many items available for borrowing as well as desktops on site, if you need access to equipment
In order to get the most out of this workshop, it is strongly recommended that you have already attended the prior Python workshops, "Getting Started with Python" and "Analyzing and Visualizing Data." This workshop will build on those workshops' prior concepts, such as variables, data types (strings, lists, dictionaries), libraries, slicing and indexing, and more. Anyone is welcome to attend, but you are likely to get more out of the session if you already know Python fundamentals.
- Thursday, June 8, 2023
- 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Time Zone:
- Eastern Time - US & Canada (change)
- Medical School
- This is an online event. Event URL will be sent via registration email.
- Coding Data Programming