Second Steps with Python: Working with Data
This workshop is a follow-up to “First Steps with Python” and best taken in conjunction with the first steps session.
The workshop assumes familiarity and comfort with the material in “First Steps with Python” including importing libraries, running loops, writing conditionals, and basic understanding of tabular data.
The focus in this session is building familiarity with how one interacts with Python and Spyder by working through common data tasks.
Software Used: Python, Spyder
This workshop covers:
- Importing data
- Working with pandas & dataframes
- Transforming & cleaning data
- Data visulalization in python
During this Workshop
Participants will be able to download materials for the workshop and are encouraged to listen, practice, and interact as it suits their learning style.
The sessions will conclude with exercises with instructional staff available for help.
Preparing for this Workshop
This workshop is designed for attendees who have the following:
- a Yale NetID to use lab machines or personal computer with software installed (https://www.anaconda.com/distribution/)
- basic experience with the Windows OS (if using a lab computer)
In order to provide the best learning experience possible, we ask that you arrive before the scheduled start-time of the workshop. Arriving more than 5 minutes late may make it difficult to catch up with the other participants.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about this workshop.
This workshop will not be recorded, but session materials will be available upon request.
- Friday, April 26, 2019
- 10:00am - 12:30pm
- KBT C27 (Computer Classroom) Center for Science and Social Science Information (CSSSI)
- Science Hill