Web Scraping with Python
This workshop is a first introduction to web scraping using Python with Spyder and covers the basic approach to most web scrapping
ebsites can be full of useful data that are not always downloadable or easily accessible. Rather than doing a manual copy/paste of a site, python allows you to access the raw HTML behind every webpage and automate the process of retrieving, structuring, and outputting data from pages across a domain.
Software Used: Python, Spyder, Web Browser
This workshop will cover:
- identifying websites for web scraping
- automating scraping with Python
- scraping HTML tables
- scraping paginated search results
- exporting results
During this Workshop
Participants will be able to download materials for the workshop and are encouraged to listen, practice, and interact as it suits their learning style.
The sessions will conclude with exercises with instructional staff available for help.
Preparing for this Workshop
his workshop is designed for attendees who have the following:
- familiarity with HTML structure
- working knowledge of python (running scripts, installing libraries, etc)
- if using a lab computer:
- a Yale NetID
- experience with Windows OS
- if using personal laptop:
In order to provide the best learning experience possible, we ask that you arrive before the scheduled start-time of the workshop. Arriving more than 5 minutes late may make it difficult to catch up with the other participants.
Please email email@example.com with any questions about this workshop.
This workshop will not be recorded, but session materials will be available upon request.
- Friday, November 9, 2018
- 1:30pm - 4:00pm
- KBT C27 (Computer Classroom) Center for Science and Social Science Information (CSSSI)
- Science Hill