Data Visualization in R with ggplot2
This workshop provides a practical introduction to data visualization in R with the popular package “ggplot2” (http://ggplot2.org/). The ggplot2 package is a specific implementation of the “Grammar of Graphics” and provides a high-level approach to creating rich visualizations.
This workshop assumes experience and comfort with using R for data analytic work. If you are new to R, you should start with the “First Steps in R” and “Second Steps in R” workshops.
Software Used: R, RStudio
This workshop covers:
- why use ggplot2 in R for visualization
- the basics of ‘aesthetics’
- the basics of ‘geoms’
- summarizing and transforming data on the fly
- other ways to customize the layout of your visualization
During this Workshop
Participants will be able to download materials for the workshop and are encouraged to listen, practice, and interact as it suits their learning style.
The sessions will conclude with exercises with instructional staff available for help.
Preparing for this Workshop
This workshop is designed for attendees who have the following:
- a Yale NetID to use lab machines or personal computer with software installed
- basic experience with the Windows OS (if using a lab computer)
In order to provide the best learning experience possible, we ask that you arrive before the scheduled start-time of the workshop. Arriving more than 5 minutes late may make it difficult to catch up with the other participants.
Please email email@example.com with any questions about this workshop.
This workshop will not be recorded, but session materials will be openly available at http://statlab.yale.edu/workshops/ggplot2/
- Friday, November 2, 2018
- 10:00am - 11:30am
- KBT C27 (Computer Classroom) Center for Science and Social Science Information (CSSSI)
- Science Hill